Teach English for One Month in Jeonnam Province Summer
Jeonnam Province (Jeollanam-do) is sponsoring a one-month summer English camp in Jeonnam Province in South Korea. The province will be seeking individuals from MU or the Columbia community to experience a unique teaching experience in one of several locations in this beautiful southern province in Korea.
The teachers will receive round-trip airfare, all housing and meals, a variety of cultural excursions, and valuable teaching and international experience. We are looking for students who have completed a minimum of their junior year in college, recent MU grads, new or experienced teachers in the Columbia community, master’s students, or TESOL certification-seeking students.
Details and application instructions for the teaching opportunity in Jeonnam
Jeonnam Province is striving to increase the quality of life among those of their community, especially by strengthening their English language education. With the increasing use of English in Korea and the globe, it is necessary for people of all backgrounds to have access to quality English education. This summer camp pursues this goal by offering this service at a minimal cost to elementary and junior high school students in their province.
For the past seven years, the Asian Affairs Center has been given the opportunity to help Missouri’s sister-province, Jeollanam-do (or Jeonnam Province) in South Korea, to find motivated, qualified individuals to teach for one month in one of several summer English language immersion camps. We are pleased to be working with them again this summer. We will be partnering with Portland State University, University of Arizona, and Arizona State University to provide nearly 100 native English instructors who will be paired with Korean English teachers in the classroom.
Participating in this special program will benefit the instructors as much as it will benefit the students and residents in this area. For those that desire to learn more about Asian culture, and engage with children, this is a perfect chance to do both while gaining international work experience at the same time. Jeonnam Province will provide round-trip airfare, on-location orientation and training, a variety of cultural excursions, and accommodations, including meals. You will also receive between $350-$450 as a small reimbursement for costs incurred.
The program will begin in mid-July (likely July 15th, but exact dates are yet to be determined) with 3-4 days of orientation and training in Korea in mid-July, followed by approximately 10 days of camp for junior high students and 10 days of camp for elementary students, ending with a cultural excursion, and a return flight to the US in mid-August (likely the 16th).
To be considered for this exciting opportunity, applicants must:
- Have completed a minimum of 3 years in college by July 2015
- Be a native English speaker with citizenship from the United States
- Education, Linguistics and English majors will be given preference, although all majors will be considered with other camp/community or formal teaching experience
- Have no criminal record
- Possess excellent verbal, written and interpersonal communication skills and ability to clearly explain grammatical concepts
- Have a mind for service, a heart for children and a willingness to immerse in another culture
The process of application includes an initial screening of applications for the most qualified and competitive applicants, group and/or individual interview, double background check (Korea requires a background free of all arrests and guilty offenses, including DUI and possession charges), and final approval from Jeonnam Province officials. After acceptance, there will be a USD $75 administrative fee, which will cover (among other things) criminal record check, contract delivery fees to Korea, and one day of required orientation locally. You will also be required to purchase travel insurance for that month and take a physical.
If you are interested in helping Jeonnam in their community effort by being a native English instructor, or if you have any questions, please contact Ms. Lesley Sapp at sappLj@missouri.edu
To apply, please provide the following:
- Completed, printed and signed application (Click here!)
- A clear, scanned copy of your passport information page. If you do not have a passport, please note this in your application.
- Your current resume
- A sealed copy of your official transcripts (with your name clearly noted on the outside of the envelope)
- Two letters of recommendation from professional, volunteer or academic supervisors. Their letter must include how they know you and should speak to your strengths working with children, engaging in community service, your work ethic, your ability to adapt to new surroundings, etc.
NOTE: If you are selected to go to Korea, your application fee will be applied to the administrative processing fee.
Please return the application with all enclosures by March 20th to:
(Ms.) Lesley Sapp
Asian Affairs Center
University of Missouri
N49 Memorial Union
Columbia, MO 65211